Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kids Craft Leather Journal

Leather Journal

Carmen ask me to post the little leather journal I made at the Royal Ranger Commander's Conference I attended back in November.  I took several classes and one was kids leather craft.  Here is the little journal we made.

This is the finished product.  I traced (not stamped) the design using stensils of the feathers and the  Indian design at the bottom; then colored in the designs with sharpe pens. You can also use paint.  This particular grade of leather does not take a stamp well thus we traced the design.

These are the pieces to use, but before assembling the journal, finish the design of your choice.


Put both sides together and start lacing the yarn or shoe lace in this case.  Start from the back and wrap around both pieces.  I didn't leave myself enough at the top so if you want to add beads, leave long enough.


Continue lacing to the bottom and then lace up through the back (in between front and back).  Pull all the way to the top of the journal.

At the top, lace back through the back side of your journal.


Tie a knot, then add any beads you wish to use.

Fold regular typing paper in half.

Slip paper under the cord.





  Yea!!! Your done. 

 Extra paper can be added as needed.

2 comments:

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

Thanks Mom! We will get started. I appreciate the visual aid alot.

Amelia said...

Hello! I am a friend of your daughter, Carmen. So nice to meet ya! : ) I've enjoyed the posts on the leather journals. Wonderful! I'm familiar with Royal Rangers & Primroses etc. My four daughters were involved a little at a church a while back when they were very young. My daughters are now, 28,25,21 & 17. They are at home and serving the Lord! Thank the Lord! : ) It's so wonderful you help with the young people for the Lord, I still remember with fondness some of my Sunday school teachers.

Bless you! ~Amelia